[Vwdiesel] Who has rear brake drums turned?

Nate Wall nwall at opei.org
Fri Sep 13 13:49:57 EDT 2002

I flush the system every two years too (I mean really flush it w/ about 2 quarts
of fluid, pain in the butt, wheel at a time), that's what's odd. And they ARE
corroded inside (in most instances). I've been using cheap Wagner brand from Trak
Auto for about $15.00 each. Now I can get ATE for the same. Sometimes I rebuild
them for about $7 each and have the same luck. I think what is happening is thet
water is getting in the drum and into the boot in the cylinder. During the winter
months I would thuroughly hose down the Jetta (underside especially) after each
snow when the roads were salted. For any given snow, this would be about 4 times.
Then I discovered I was getting water in the brake drums and I stopped hosing the
brake backing plates. I think that may be where most of my problems arrose. We
haven't had any snow here in two years, so these have lasted the longest of any.