[Vwdiesel] Auxiliary Battery

Kevin Jack kevin.jack at primus.ca
Mon Apr 21 00:32:44 EDT 2003

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the list, and I own a 1992 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Diesel.

I am wondering if anyone (most likely in Canada) has any ideas on how to im=
prove cold starts (sub -10C).

I live in the city and will not be able to plug it in. If I dont find a sol=
ution, I will be forced to store the car for the winter.

One idea I had was to add an auxiliary battery with a solenoid switch betwe=
en it and the main battery. This battery would only be needed for cold star=
Like this one: http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/auxbat/switch.jpg

The only concern I have is trying to keep both batteries charged. I think c=
harging them simultaneously is out of the question due to the stress put on=
 the alternator. I dont want to upgrade the alternator.

Has anyone done this or have any ideas on if and how it could work best.

Thanks for your help.