[Vwdiesel] Rabbit droppings # 62 --- ( the Boys from Brazil are still at it )

James Hansen jhsg at sasktel.net
Tue Apr 13 02:30:24 EDT 2004

> I have both kinds here  --- what is a nifty way to tell the
> difference James?   how many here?
> maybe a hundred.   --- Why is forged so much stronger ? .

Would part numbers do it?
Pretty tough to tell, both are steel, just different manufacturing methods.
Might tell by sparks from a grinding wheel- how the carbon "feathers" and
such. the carbon grain size should differ some, might translate into a cheap
easy grinder wheel  way to tell them apart.
On the unmachined surfaces, it looks a tad different- forgings are usually
Forged is so much stronger due to steel grain size and orientation. Castings
are bigger random grains, forgings are smaller, layered grain structure-
like it was "packed" into the mold, which it was. The way the carbon is
distributed is supposed to be slightly different too.