[Vwdiesel] ATF as an additive???

Mary Beth and Chris Geiser geiser at execpc.com
Tue Feb 10 18:58:33 EST 2004

Interesting story about "Power Services" diesel conditioner (okay, maybe
just a little bit interesting):  The Bosch service place near me sells
their brand of fuel conditioner / pump lubricant - called E-Zoil Diesel
Aid.  The guy there sold me on it the first time I brought a pump in
with a main shaft leak.

I used that for a number of years, then one day saw Power Services stuff
at Fleet Farm for cheaper than the above stuff.  Said it lubed the pump,
so I tried it for a while.  I work in the medical field, so I use a
syringe to add the right amount every fill up.  Never had a problem with
the first stuff, but with Power Services additive, the rubber on the end
of the syringe would swell and become useless after a few times.
Eventually the stop solenoid on my Vanagon started to stick so it would
either not start, or keep running with the key off until I knocked it
with a hammer.  I replaced the first one, but the new one did the same
thing after a few months - lightbulb came on and I switched back to the
first stuff and the stop solenoid problem went away.

I am saving the Power Systems stuff just in case I ever get a pump leak
that I want to swell the rubber on though...