[Vwdiesel] TDI blunder

Shalyn Shourds sshourds at flash.net
Sun Sep 26 22:47:00 EDT 2004

Well, I stumbled across enough motivation to stick the head on the TDI 
tonight.  So, I whipped out the head, gasket, and sawed the heads off 
two old bolts to use for guides.  Stacked it all on the short block and 
started tightening.  Put it to fourty, then as I was taking it to sixty, 
one word crossed my stream of unrelated counsciousness:  Newton-meters.  
Needless to say, I was torquing it to foot-lbs. 

What I should have done:  30 ft-lbs, 44 ft-lbs, 90º, 90º.  What I did:  
40 ft-lbs, 60 ft-lbs, curse.  I'm thinking that I wll have to remove the 
(stretch) bolts and replace with new since it's overtorqued to an 
indeterminate degree.  My immediate question is should I replace the 
head gasket as well, or just replace the head bolts one by one and hope 
for the best.  Seems like I remember the Raceware bolts being installed 
one by one without replacing the head gasket, but then again, they're 
done all at once, not in several successive torque steps, as I recall. 

That's what I get for using an American torque wrench with ft-lbs in the 
big obvious numbers and a Geman car with N-m listed first.  That, and 
not paying attention.... 

So, anyone with some Raceware experience and a lucky guess got some 


'00 TDI

More information about the Vwdiesel mailing list