[Vwdiesel] Honing advice needed!

slatersfb at aol.com slatersfb at aol.com
Fri Apr 1 11:27:53 EST 2005

A few years ago I did a clutch on an '89 Fox. New disc & release bearing; figured pressure plate was still good as it showed little wear. Failed 6 months later. Small strap that handles torque broke and flew around in bell housing making quite a mess. Sometimes metal fatigue is impossible to spot. I would put all new parts while I'm in there. Flywheel excepted.
Bob in NY
One final update - I cleaned the flywheel, then the pressure plate with
then steel wool. The p/p was nearly new, with the original machining marks still
evident. So I decided to sand off the clutch disc and use it as well - hope I
regret this!Shawn Wright