[Vwdiesel] Searching the archives (& hill climbing)

Mark LaPlante laplante at mac.com
Tue Aug 9 15:29:35 EDT 2005

Steve asked:

> If there is another way to do this, I don't know about it, (Hagar's
> suggestion of searching the archives sounds good, but I have yet to find a
> search tool to do that on this list, Is there a search utility?

Google is your friend. Add "vwdiesel site:www.audifans.com" (minus the
quotes) to your search phrase.

I'm just about to go search for any writing about climbing hills in a
1.6 NA (82 Rabbit, 4 speed -- well, the knob says 1-2-3-E but I haven't
identified the code). I have just moved to the top of a mountain and the
last hill has an elevation increase of about 600' in just over a mile.
Hitting the bottom of the hill in 4th at 70 mph and I'm just barely able
to be doing 35 at the top with the temperature gauge about 3-4 lines
higher.) I downshift to 3rd at around 50 mph. When that starts seeming
really slow I go into 2nd for a while, but I'm not sure if I would be
better off just leaving it in 3rd.

Topo map of said hill  (from the 625 at the top to the 1207 near the

(P.S. Enjoying Hagar's stories and NASA commentary -- my work email
address ends in nasa.gov).