[Vwdiesel] Alternate use for spline tool set.

Mark Shepherd mark at shepher.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 16:52:19 EDT 2005

Ha  I feel an invention coming on ...
Hmm lets call it an Impact Driver ;o)
Seriously though I spent five years belting one of those into
those driveshaft
bolts until I bothered to clean the caked on muck out of one and
discovered its
 a 12pt or 3 square, then life got a lot easier...

At 11:47 AM 8/27/05 EDT, you wrote:
>When the one started to round, I quickly grabbed my spline
>set and hammered the 12 pt 12mm spline into the allen head.  It
took the bolt
>out easy as pie.  I have used the same method for rounded
intake manifold
>bolts on the diesels (just not the 12mm on those).  Cheers.

Maybe the hammer shock driving the spline released the loctite.
I've heard this is how to get locked screws out.

When I remove C-shaft pulleys for a T-belt change, I give the
pulley screws
a sharp whack before applying torque, and they come out every
time. Before
this practice, I rounded many.