[Vwdiesel] cycling glowplugs

Chuck Carnohan Chuck.Carnohan at itd.idaho.gov
Mon Feb 14 16:41:58 EST 2005

Interesting observations Gerry Wolfe.  All I know is that the Dino
Rotella pours easily in cold temps.  It is the only multi-viscosity
diesel rated Dino oil that I have seen that appears to stay quite liquid
when cold.  Synthetic is best in the deep freeze of the great north
but.... I would bet that Rotella might surprise some with it's liquidity
in the cold!  I know another diesel crazy in Maine uses it year-round
without a problem.

This is what I noticed.  With other Dino oils such as Delo, with a
plastic valve splash deal it would take forever to refill the crankcase
during an oil change in the cold.  Oil was like thick syrup- like STP.
Rotella went right on down the gullet.

I recently switched from synthetic to the Rotella just to see what it
would do.  So far I'm not noticing a big difference but it hasn't been
as cold as usual here in Idaho this year.  Heck, we haven't even seen
sub-zero this year!  At 5F my 1.6NA was a bit less talkative on initial
starter engagement but it started right up.

I still like block heaters whenever a plug is available!

Chuck Carnohan