[Vwdiesel] 93 Passat 1.9TD blowing blue smoke

Charlie M charlie_toronto at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 23:07:00 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I just bought a 93 Passat GL 1.9TD
The cars starts on the first try, it has all kinds of
power (better then my 91 Jetta Td).  However, if you
snap the throttle a lot of blue smoke is produced for
a few seconds then it goes away.  It does not smoke at

The car also has an EGR valve by the turbo housing, I
have never seen one of these before.
It has 210,000km.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Maybe
valve seals or the oil control rings?  I wonder if the
turbo bearings are shot.  The oil and filter have been
changed and the air filter as well. I hope it is
something simple.  If not, I am prepared to dig into

Thanks in advance,

Toronto, Ontario
91 Jetta 1.6TD
93 Passat 1.9TD