[Vwdiesel] No diesel - melted cat!

LBaird119 at aol.com LBaird119 at aol.com
Fri Aug 24 01:23:01 EDT 2007

  The question was about a gasser cat.  I'd suspect a
clogged diesel cat I would GUESS would be more likely from
driving the car real easily.  When we chipped Dad's Passat I
romped on it after a bit, at a stop sign.  It left a good 10+
foot long black patch!  Wasn't from the tires though.  It was
from the exhaust!  Never did it again so it HAD to be from
acumulation in the exhaust system.

In a message dated 8/23/2007 8:48:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rgreeley2 at hotmail.com writes:

> I am curious about your answer as to the cause.
> I owned a 97 passat tdi, purchased used, po claimed the intake had been
> decarboned though I found a clogged
> cat after a year of driving. I did a mufflectomy as tdi'ers
> like to say. I felt it never ran correctly, it began to rust in
> odd spots and I sold it after 18 months, I always wondered about the cause
> of the clogged cat though.
> ray> From: LBaird119 at aol.com
> >Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:49:14 -0400
> >To: vwdiesel at vwfans.com
> >Subject: Re: [Vwdiesel] No diesel - melted cat!
> >
> >In a message dated 8/23/2007 9:22:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> >jjhoehl at hotmail.com writes:
> >
> >>Any Great Ideas?
> >>

> >Not sure about ideas but I can speak from experience.
> >As asked, it depends on your goal. I've punched out a
> >couple of bad cats. I used a foot or so long, piece of
> >steel rod about 3/4 inch dia. Wail on that with a big
> >hammer. You need to remove the cat most likely though
> >it's doable in car. Remove chunks.
> >Other options are weld in a piece of exhaust pipe in its
> >place, replace it with a new/used cat or replace with a
> >"test pipe."
> >Cause of a melted cat is generally one or two of two
> >things, burning oil or way too rich of mixture.
> >Loren

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at