[Vwdiesel] Fuel line Check Valves?

MLightner mikel at buncombe.main.nc.us
Tue Mar 13 21:52:18 EDT 2007

>Right rear  wheel well arch (take wheel off)
>At front of arch, the hosecoming down from the water separator has a black
>plastic  gizmo spliced in to it witf a couple of compression ferrruls
>(probably by now all rusted out)

I didn't know about that one...

>You can poke a small diam rod in to the inlet end and unseat the disc to
>release any debris that might be holding it open.  I have had one apart once (Epoxied it >back together)

cool, that's good to know.  Do you mean you were able to reuse it after disecting it?

>It has a weak spring, and a disc made of rubberized fabric for the valve

I'd been wondering what's in there

>Sometimes they get sticky, or crud props them open and fuel drains back to
>the tank when the engine stops

I finally removed the one on my return line, it would get thoroughly re-clogged just sitting overnight.  I next let it soak in some alcohol for a few days and it seems to have stopped reclogging, but I don't know if I'll ever trust it enough  to use it again.

>Over a week, esp. if the car is parked facing uphill, this can suck all the
>fuel outof the pump body and supply line

>Been there

>The only time Ihave seen a retrn line check valve, I thimk was on a gasser,
>right at the tank where the return line attaches

My 85 Jetta has one, there's an access plate in the trunk.

What model is that on, or is it more than one?
Thanks, hope you're feeling better.

Mike in NC