[Vwdiesel] head gasket replacement

mikitka mikitka at embarqmail.com
Sun Jan 6 06:54:36 PST 2008

Actually you are suppose to do a piston protrusion on all the pistons to
find which one sticks up above the block the most and then put on the
correct head gasket. Just doing #1 piston will not make up for the other
three if one of them is taller.  Better to be safe then sorry. That is what
I did on mine before I put a head gasket on it.

The last time I did this one I was able to roll the exhaust manifold back
out of the way and pull the head up off the studs. It has the C-clamp
exhaust system. I think I may have put in too big of gasket and I'll need to
measure the #1 piston stickout while the head is off and the engine is at #1

Vwdiesel mailing list
Vwdiesel at vwfans.com