[Vwdiesel] how to 5spd swap

LBaird119 at aol.com LBaird119 at aol.com
Sun May 25 23:10:24 PDT 2008

In a message dated 5/25/2008 6:05:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tre99neon at yahoo.com writes:

> What would i need to swap a 5speed into my 81 diesle rabbit factory 4sp?
> would i t ahve to be a 5spd form a diesle A1 ? or could i use a gasser trans
> and could i use an a1 or an a2 ? i know il have to get a 5sp shifter also but
> mainly wondering what kind of cars i can used the trans out of? also what
> kinda milage / power  advantages could i expect?

  You need a tranny, Preferably an FF/FJ/FN/FH I've only seen the
FF) or ACH/AGS/AOP/4S/ACN/AON/ASF/ACL (A1, A2 respectively,
ACH is probably more common but a slightly higher final drive ratio)
a 5 speed tranny mount and one or both of the plastic, snap-ball
end shift rods.  The shifter, if set right will accomodate all the
gears as is.  Remove the old one and bolt in the replacement. :-)
You may need to adjust the shifter and that's about it.

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking
with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.