[Vwdiesel] head gaskets

LBaird119 at aol.com LBaird119 at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 08:43:15 PST 2008

In a message dated 11/11/2008 4:21:01 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mark at shepher.fsnet.co.uk writes:

> So if I reamed out the requisite holes, would I end up with a stronger
> gasket, or the same gasket... My main concern is the oil supply hole on some
> of these replacement gaskets seem unneccessarily large.
> Does anyone know how much a gasket reduces in thickness under final torque
> from initial  state?
> What figure is the figure sometimes quoted, initial, or final thickness?

  You could ream out the head bolt holes but not the oil return
holes.  There's not enough material outboard of the holes (or at
least the front one) to seal.
  A larger oil pressure area isn't necessarily going to fail.  Most
of the failures there are the rubber ridgy part seperates from
the rest of the gasket.  Some of them use a metal piece to seal
instead of the rubber part... I think.  I've never noticed the bigger
ones to fail more than the smaller, in fact usually the smaller
ones tend to come out kidney bean shaped as one side seperates.
If I had to say I've seen one fail more than the other I'd say it
was the smaller ones!
  I believe Bentley has the new AND compressed thickness or the
amount of compression when tightened so subtract the difference.
I know I've calculated it up at some point and that's the only
place I can think of other than possibly the torque sheet that
comes with a new gasket and I don't think it's on that.

AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and
all other Holiday needs. Search Now.