[Vwdiesel] Towing boat with 85 Jetta

Shawn Wright vwdiesels at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 13:02:46 PDT 2008

This is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone here has experience towing a 14'-16' boat with
their Jetta. Specifically, I'm looking at this boat:

I've towed a 14' aluminum with 35hp, and a 14' fiberglass with 75hp, but that was years ago,
the fg boat I only pulled once, so I don't remember it much. The 90HP outboard on this boat
is 170kg on (nearly 400lbs), and the trailer is probably 300lbs, with the boat at perhaps 900-
1500lbs. So I'm looking at 1600lbs at least. Long term I would probably put a hitch on my
Westy to pull it, but I'm curious if anyone has tried a similar boat/motor combo on a Jetta  (a
tired NA diesel at that...)

Shawn Wright
'88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed
'85 Jetta Diesel 1.6NA