[Vwdiesel] Electrical problem

LBaird119 at aol.com LBaird119 at aol.com
Thu Apr 2 18:36:49 PDT 2009

In a message dated 4/2/2009 5:12:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
eriklane at gmail.com writes:

> I thought maybe the alternator has a bad spot and it moved a
> bit in all the work I did towing it home and getting it on and off the tow
> dolly. But I took the drive belt off and turned it slowly by hand while
> watching an analog meter on the ohms setting, and the needle never so much
> as wavered.

  It won't.  An alt has constant contact brushes so turning only
induces a charge into the field(?).  A generator has a segmented
contact to the brushes so it COULD have a bad single winding.
Alt would have to be good or bad or just charge poorly.  Bad
diodes can make an alt such power but it turns into a big electro-
  Sounds like the battery dropped a plate or something.

New Low Prices on Dell Laptops – Starting at $399