[Vwdiesel] OK, half-assed oil change

Shalyn Shourds sshourds at flash.net
Sat Aug 22 20:59:56 PDT 2009

Rolf Pechukas wrote:
> 2001 VW Golf TDi
> working at my mom's house w/o any tools I did a topside oil change
> but I could not get oil filter cap off, despite applying lobster
> cracker, reversed rubber pliers, and a strip of old timing belt that I
> twisted with pipe wrench ala strap tool
> alas
I don't know anything about filter change intervals, but I do know that
my filter wrench is just a standard $5 oil filter wrench from the local
random parts store.  It's not a special-order item or anything.
Thankfully, it's a standard size, we just get to use it on the top of
the engine not on the bottom of the engine on the filter can.