[Vwdiesel] IP Pump lost prime.

brian gochnauer brian at gochnauer.net
Sun Feb 22 08:19:11 PST 2009

To group;

To add to this thread;

I went out to start my '90 jetta that's been sitting since Thanksgiving.
Wouldn't start.
Figured since the cold-start shaft seal had been leaking, it'd lost it's
Removed the line going to the IP from the filter and temporarly installed an
8psi electric fuel pump.
Ran it for a few seconds and vroom (or knack,knack)  took right off.
Let it warm up, remove the electric fuel pump. Hook the lines back up.
Started right back up.
Dripping at least 1 drip per second.

Is the shaft seal an o-ring (seated in the housing) or a lip type seal?

'90, '98, '04 Jettas  all running,
'90, '98 for sale