[Vwdiesel] Big Problems with Engine (I think)

LBaird119 at aol.com LBaird119 at aol.com
Mon Jan 5 00:10:59 PST 2009

In a message dated 1/4/2009 23:27:38 Pacific Standard Time, jhsg at sasktel.net

> Sounds like a gas manifold with one hole blocked off maybe?  They had
> dual outlets, and fit a diesel.  A sort of popular mod at one point was
> to use that, but you lose the scavenging from the 4 into one that the
> diesel manifold has.   Diesel manifold does require futzing with wedges
> to get the clamp that holds the swivel together off, but there are tools
> for that that are easy to make.

  The 1.5 diesels all had 4-2-1 manifolds and downpipes.  They
seemed to breathe very nicely once you put a big enough pipe
behind them.  The early 4-1 was awful (not sure if the diesel got
that one or not).  It had no split.  They soon changed them to
have an internal divider for a pseudo 4-2 arrangement.  As I
recall anyway...

  Yup, my thought is that the oil cap came off, oil got on the belt,
belt jumped a tooth and now it's off time.  You've not said if it
smokes during that short time it starts and runs.

New year...new news.  Be the first to know what is
making headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)