[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]

Re: Antenna research

Al Powell asked...

>Trivia question for tool-types:
>I remember that in the Ag Engineering machine shop, they had some two-
>piece dies to make holes through sheet metal.  You drilled a small 
>hole for a bolt connecting the two pieces, which were round cup-
>spaned dies.  The smaller fit inside the cavity of the other, and had 
>cutting edges.  The basic technique was to drill a small hole 
>through the metal for the bolt, connect the dies with the bolt, then 
>tighten the bolt, and the smaller die but thru the sheet metal while 
>being braced against the larger die on the opposite side of the 
>metal.  No warping, no slipping.
>ASCII art attempt:           __________
>                             |        |   Large die
>                             |        |   
>                              |______|     Small die
>Anyone know what those dies are called??????  Maybe I should call dad 
>and see what's happenin'......cheers.
>Al Powell                           Voice:  409/845-2807
>Ag Communications                   Fax:    409/862-1202
>107 Reed McDonald Bldg.             Email:  a-powell1@tamu.edu 
>College Station, TX  77843-2112
>W3 page - http://agcomwww.tamu.edu/agcom/satellit/rpe/alpage.htm

The tool is called a "Greenlee Chassis Punch".  Used a lot in
electronics assembly.  Made by, of all people, the Greenlee company

John Mallick