[Vwdiesel] Still having starting issues with the 82 vanagon diesel
dieselwesty at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 16 07:54:26 PDT 2009
I am getting closer to finding this gremlin, I think battery cables are next.
Here is what I have done,
1. load tested battery with a cheap load tester, but it says it is good, this is group 41 battery from my old Audi 200, 850CC AMP, it is good.
2. Cleaned all battery terminal ends, saw some green stuff on the end that connects to the starter, hit it with wire brush and put some sodder in there, this is the issue still, I think.
3. starting the van now with my original ignition switch almost 100% of the time, motor turns over but not fast enough to start I guess, seems to turn fine, but does not start.
4. using a new ignition switch and a screw driver, it starts right up when cold, every time.
5. Then when the motor is hot or warm, I get the same results using the original ignition switch still in the column. plug into the new ignition switch, I get a clunk, I can hear the starter solenoid go clunk, but no start. Try again, clunk.
Now for the key........
My temp sender to sense when the coolant temp is hot does not work or is the wrong one, my glow plug relay does not get the signal and always has been cycling the 7 seconds for the glows. Yes, I need to fix this.
So, when the motor is hot and I let the glow plug cycle complete, say 8 seconds, then the motor will turn over, no clunk of the starter solenoid.
OK, this is certainly electrical. Should I get new battery cables made up?
Is there a certain size I should get for the diesel or do regular battery cables from any Autozone place work?
Thanks, this is driving me nuts............... it has been an on-going issue for a long time but I have never swapped battery cables.........ahhh, that must be it.
Bryan Belman, Pt. Pleasant, NJ
04 Jetta Wagon TDI PD, 100hp, 5sp -- running :)
92 Jetta 1.6 Eco-Turbo Diesel -- running :)
82 Diesel Westy 1.9NA -- running :}
70 Type 1 stock Beetle -- Not running :(
More information about the Vwdiesel