97 A4 Trunk Latch Problem

I'm having quite a strange problem with my A4 Trunk Latch.

1) Trunk works fine in warm weather
2) Trunk will not open in cold weather
3)  While trunk is open and I press the unlatch button, I can see the latch
4) After I shut the trunk, it won't open unless I punch the button 3 or 4
times, then it opens, sometimes.

At first, I thought water got in there and froze the latch in the locked
position. But after seeing the latch moving, I'm not so sure that's the
case. I shot some WD-40 into the key area and the latch but that didn't do

Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions?

Tom Lazay
'97 A4Q