Check engine light

In message <970423182211_75363.2524_EHI60-1@CompuServe.COM> Joe Yakubik writes:

> I got a momentary check engine light this morning.  Is it possible to read the
> codes on the 3B motor w/ Motronic ignition via a test LED?  The Bentley lists
> this procedure only for the K-Jetronic motors.  Or do I need the 1551 wonder
> tool?

The following is in preparation for the ur-quattro 20V.  Yours may be similar:
Nasty.  Buy a VAG 1551.  Otherwise - time for some ASCII art:
         1       2       3
       /---\   +---\   +---\
       | O |   | O |   | O |  2
       +---+   +---+   +---+
       | O |   | O |   | O |  1
       +---+   +---/   +---/

1 is black, 2 is brown and 3 is blue.

This connector is (in a German car) in the driver's footwell.  I assume it
will be on the passenger side in a UK car.

The pin assignments are:
      1.2  Positive
      1.1  Chassis
      2.2  J220 or VAG 1598 pin 13
      2.1  J220 or VAG 1598 pin 55

Connect a diode test lamp between 1.2 and 3.2.  Attach leads or a push-button
between 1.1 (A) and 2.1 (B).

Connect A and B for four seconds.  The diode should light up.

Break A and B.  A code will be blinked out.  To get the next code,
touch A and B together for four seconds again.  The end is signalled
by 0000 - pulses 2.5 seconds apart.  Code 2111 should be ignored if
the ignition is on and the engine is not turning, unless an unsuccessful
attempt has been made to start it.
Let us know what the codes are - the table is too long to post.  Well,
too long to type, anyway.

 Phil Payne