[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]

No Subject

>My experience is that you will only get the insurance company to pay
>for a stock vehicle with similar mileage and condition (pre-crash).
>On the other hand, if you retain VIN from original car, most are too
>stupid to check.  You'll only pay premiums on the VIN, not on what
>you really have.  On the other hand, you'll only only get paid for the
>VIN in the event of a crash.  You could, on the other hand, buy a donor
>car complete with title and VIN and change the model designation
>of your car.  Higher premiums, higher payout.  Consider salvage
>value of the car in the event you decide to go ahead with it.  May be
>to go with smaller outlay, get the car totalled, get small amount back,
>back thousands of dollars worth of parts for a couple hundred bucks
>and start over.

Isn't this illegal?  Are you not trying to change the identity of the car?
At the very least, wouldn't the better model have to be classified as a
"modification" to the original vehicle, and attract higher premiums?
>An example similar to yours is my Dad's sleeper.  It is a 1979 Ford
>Fairmont which is completely 87 Mustang GT under the skin.  He
>is only paying premiums on a 79 Fairmont and, if he lived in a smog
>state, he'd only have to meet the emissions requirements of a 79

Surely the Fairmont is considerded as "Modified" and should attract higher
premium.  If this car was in the UK, it would be very difficult to insure
in this modified state, as the modification is presumably done to make the
car go fast, and therefore drive fast in.

Mike Walder.

>>> My Collection
1991 Eagle Talon TSi 1997cc Turbo, 195Bhp, AWD - Weekend toy
1982 Audi 100 GL 5E 2144cc 136Bhp, FWD - Daily runner
1984 Mitshibshi Galant Turbo, 1997cc, 170Bhp, RWD - Project car
1980 Rover 2600S SDI, 2550cc, 136Bhp, RWD - Project car