Re: Newbie questions 4ksq

Dave Fain writes:
> OK, I understand BTDT and I know what a Hall sending unit is,
> but what the H*** is this "bomb" in the braking system?

Your 4KQ doesn't have a "bomb".  The bomb is properly known as
the "hydraulic accumulator" and is used in the type 44 chassis
(e.g., 84+ 5K) cars, which has hydraulic assist for the braking
system instead of vacuum.

> And does
> anybody have any idea what those German engineers were thinking
> when they designed the center vent in the dash so that it wasn't
> _supposed_ to blow anything but outside air???  I thought mine was
> busted until I RTFM (British car term re: owners manual).

The center vent will also blow cold air when the A/C is on, so it's
not always "outside air".

BTW, both of these have been discussed at length in the past.  Check
the list archives.

96 A4 2.8 quattro
84 5000S 2.1 turbo
80 4000 2.0
   ///   AMB Research Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti@amb.org
 //////  http://sunsite.unc.edu/~cddb/tikan/