[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]

Re: Lighting questions

I usually don't "me too" a thread, but Bob is right here.  I'm surprised
the first guy below's switch hasn't melted away already.  That stock
wiring is just not up to the task.  The fuse box connections probably
aren't, either.  To say nothing of wherever your car draws "flash to
pass" power from (mine gets it from the inst/park light circuit!)

Robert Myers wrote:
> Scott, IME, stock wiring is simply not heavy enough to carry such loads for
> any length of time.  Heat melts insulation causing shorts and possibly even
> fires.  Use the stock wiring to actuate relays which then drive your
> brighter lights via heavy duty wiring installed for that purpose.  You are
> courting burning up a very expensive and high labor wiring harness.

> >I'm confident of my stock
> >wiring, it's the stalk switch that's the weak point.  It gets pretty
> >warm carrying 440+ watts, so I'd say I'm losing power there, and I'm in
> >danger of frying an expensive switch.  I'm installing relays under the
> >dash to feed the stock wiring.  I may lose a couple volts by not going
> >right from the alternator, but I really don't need any more light (or
> >any more wiring).

Huw Powell


"This is the place where death rejoices to teach those who live."

Usually it is written in Latin.