Re: BMEP and ft/min and tt clarification

Eaton Dave wrote:

> also, there is no "centre app" mode for this diff.  in the vw/audi scenario,
> the diff is bolted onto the front of the rear diff, so the input shaft is
> the output shaft from the front diff presumably via a take-off from the
> gearbox output ring.  in this arrangement there clearly can be no more than
> 50% power to the rear axle which would seem to fly in the face of the
> testers who expound the oversteer characteristics of the car (ttc)...

Precisely what had me questioning the write-ups I've read, if the Haldex is
attached to the rear axle, how can you get any more than 50% at the rear? The
Haldex would have to be an integral part of the front transaxle, splitting the
torque/power between front and rear like the Torsen does in the Quattro. The
only current application I can see where a Haldex/Gerodisc type application
truly works to split the torque/power where needed is the new Quadra-Trac in
the '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

> as i said, we currently don't know the details of the audi app of the haldex
> lsc.  i'm working on it.  rumours of the s6tt 400hp v8 using 4 haldex
> clutches (1 per axle 1/2 shaft) are also being substantiated.

NOW that sounds like a plan!

> dave
> '95 rs2
> '90 ur-q

By the way Dave, you wouldn't happen to be related to the Eaton that
manufactures those wonderful superchargers currently being used by GM on their
3800 SeriesII engines?

Todd Young              WAM!NET Inc.
tyoung@wamnet.com       6100 West 110th Street
612-886-5051            Bloomington, MN 55438-2664
800-585-1133 ext.5051   http://www.wamnet.com/