	-----Original Message-----

	Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:27:23 -0600
	From: ejfluhr@austin.ibm.com (Fluhr)

	>Our urq is an early model with the rear swaybar.  I noticed that
the newer
	>urqs have the 4kq style rear suspension.  Was this a cost saving
issue with
	>Audi or a performance improvement?

	I read in a book that the rear suspension changed because of concern
	about the car becoming difficult to handle at its limits, and a few
	q-listers have mentioned the same thing.  The only large visual
	I noticed about the 4Kq versus the urq rear suspension is the
	location of the tie rods on the rear subframe.  The urquattro mount
	much higher up and on the inside of the subframe, while the 4Kq
	more horizontal and on the outside of the subframe.  I haven't
	out the geometry, but it sounds like the older suspension design may

	have had an issue with the rear tires changing toe-in/toe-out as the

	suspension compressed/uncompressed.  I think the 4Kq suspension may
	been designed to mitigate that, although it is speculation on my
	Now the question becomes, "Is the 4Kq suspension good enough to
	for the lack of a rear sway bar?"  Not having driven a 4Kq enough to

	compare to my urq, I cannot comment on that.