Diagnostic Fault Codes on 20V

I've got a rough idle on my 1991 90 Quattro 20V and I am trying to see
if there are any codes stored.  I had been discouraged by the Bentley
saying post March 1990 production codes could only be retrieved using
the Bosch Scanner.  I recently found an article on the 20V web site
that says it is possible.  Has anyone else tried this?  I put an LED
and resistor between A2 and C2 (anode to A2) and shorted A1 to B1 for
4 seconds with the ignition on.  No sparks, no damage but no codes.
The light emitting part was missing from the LED.  Put it across the
battery it glows just fine.