[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Coupe Lower Trim Piece

Brian Raymond wrote:
> Well its time to find the right trim piece that runs along the bottom of the
> car. I need the one that goes from the back on the front wheel to the center
> or so of the car. 

ABC Auto Parts, 717-266-6666 can probably ship you one. They have an '86
in stock.

> to show some surface rust and I don't want it to go any farther. What should
> I do about the rust? I was thinking sanding it down, but then won't I need
> to put some sort of protectant on it so it won't rust again when water geta
> down there?? 

Sand it and paint it. If it doesn't show when that piece is on, you can
use any color that's marginally close. Be sure to use a finish paint,
not primer. Primers are porous, and won't keep moisture from

"Life is too short to drive boring cars."

Dwight Varnes, insurance appraiser and car nut
1970 124 Spider (restored, mostly)
1986 Audi Coupe GT (bigger engine at machine shop)
1989 VW Jetta GLI 16v (the wife's ride, needs restored)
1984 Nissan 4x4 Pickup (rust never sleeps)
1965 Buick Skylark conv. (more fun than you'd think)