Thermostat - 80 or 87 degree C ?

Well, summer has officially arrived in the Northwest and my car is starting
to cook a bit.  Running a little hotter than last summer, and the weather
really isn't all that warm yet (80s today).  I think it's time to flush the
cooling system, add new anti-freeze and perhaps replace the thermostat and
gasket while I'm at it - 71,000 miles.

Temperature recommendations?  TPC lists an 80c and an 87c.  I been told the
basic tenants are:

Higher temp = better gas mileage, better efficiency
Lower temp = better safety margin, greater longevity

I'm sure there are other opinions and suggestions circulating this list
though.  I'd love to hear them.  Thanks.

Dan Sinclair
1988 Audi 90, 71,000mi.
Pic and details at: