[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Re: Front-end creak on 5000 ...
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Front-end creak on 5000 ...
- From: "Arun Rao" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 08:01:11 -0800
- In-Reply-To: email@example.com "Re: Front-end creak on 5000 ..." (Feb 14, 8:47am)
- References: <384708140295*/PN=glen.powell/OU=notes/PRMD=smclan/ADMD=attmail/Cfirstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-To: quattro
- Sender: quattro-owner
You know, procrastination has its benefits. Yesterday, I found
out unequivocally what was causing the creak: one of front caliper
mounting bolts fell off the freeway on the way home ! I guess
I either had forgotten to torque them when I changed the wheel
bearing last August, or they need to be replaced each time you
remove them (they're self-locking). Fortunately, I was able
to drive home *very* slowly, even though I'd hear this awful
grinding noise each time I applied the brakes (caliper rubbing
against the rim of the rotor).
So I guess the bolt slowly worked itself out over time: it started
creaking when it was all the way out, but still held the caliper
in place. Then it fell out ...
Thanks all for the helpful suggestions!