Spongy Brakes

Question about air in the brake lines.  After putting the heap back together
last night & doing a shabby job at bleeding the brakes, I took it for a quick
spin around the block.  If I jabbed the brake pedal twich, it stiffened up
nicely & I could stop just fine.  If I just pounced on the brakes, the car kind
of eased to a stop.  This is due to air in the brake lines right?  For some
reason the clutch worked just fine, but if you wanted to stop you had to plan

87 5000CS TQ-Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
84 5000S - Boulder, Colorado
90 80 - Bethesda, Maryland