RE: Syncro Problem..Help

Sounds like the starter solenoid is going. The solenoid is what pushes
the starter gear (which you hear spinning) into contact with the teeth
on the outside of the flywheel, causing the starter to spin the motor.
Dead solenoid = starter spins but does not engage, symptoms of which you
gave a pretty good description.
-Ian Duff.