Diff problem solved... and then some...

Well, to continue the saga (and apologies to those who find this boring...), I found out today that the axle assembly wouldn't QUITE fit into the right rear hub/bearing... it was "off" by an inch or so. The tech said that if he did it, I'd be back in about a month, to do it all over again.

So why was this the case? Well, as it turns out, the "boys" at NTB, when they took the subframe/control arm off to press in the new bearing and hub (which they didn't need to do... IF they had the right tool... which I told them to go get at the dealership 2 miles down the road!! But, of course, they wouldn't listen to me...), they must have bent it ever so slightly... enough to make a difference.

I called the manager of the NTB location, and he said that he would pay for the whole thing. Phew!! That's a relief... especially since if the tech couldn't find a used subframe/control arm (which he did.. for $175), the new one at the dealer would be pushing close to $1000!! NTB should consider themselves lucky that he was able to find a used one. Syncros are rare indeed...

So.... that's the latest "poop". If all goes well (my fingers are crossed!!), I should have it back within the next couple of days.

And to think... all this just because one guy wouldn't take the time to thread a bolt by hand first!!

P.S. The NTB manager told me that he FINALLY fired that guy!!

Jim Griffin
Maryland, USA
"Perception is often stronger than reality!"
'92 Audi 100S
'87 VW Quantum Syncro Wagon