RE: How can you tell if "the bomb" is bad?

Indeed, if the pedal vibrates, it is a good indication of a dead bomb. I
would suggest one more test, though: run the engine for a minute, switch
it off and count how many times you can apply brakes until you loose the
assist. Less than 10 times = bomb is marginal, less than 3 times = bomb
is dead. Both test are only valid if the pump supplies enough pressure
and the servo isn't leaking at mega rate. As to safety issues, well, I
have driven my 5K with a dead bomb for 3 years. I have also driven
couple of miles without the power assist at all and now I have finally
installed the new bomb. I can tell you that you really can't feel any
difference it brakes feel until you have to make a panic stop. If you
have to stop really hard and you have a dead bomb, the pedal gets hard
and starts to vibrate, but even me, a computer geek who hasn't worked
out for ages ;-), can bring the vehicle to a stop quite efficiently.
The price seems about right. You can get the 5K bomb for about $240, but
I believe '91 200 uses newer bomb, wich is likely to be more expensive.
The job takes a skilled mechanic about 0.5-1 hour, so Bob's labour costs
are a little bit high, though.

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)