[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
s3 details, rs2 mods
- To: "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
- Subject: s3 details, rs2 mods
- From: Dave Eaton <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 13:21:24 +1200
- Autoforwarded: false
- Disclose-Recipients: prohibited
- Hop-Count: 1
- Importance: normal
- Mr-Received: by mta MOEMR0.MUAS; Relayed; Fri, 01 May 1998 13:21:24 +1200
- Mr-Received: by mta CSAV05; Relayed; Fri, 01 May 1998 13:21:24 +1200
- Sender: email@example.com
- Ua-Content-Id: 11C50B551800
- X400-Mts-Identifier: [;8224211301051998/A33711/CSAV05]
autocar leads their recent edition with information about the new s3, including
photos taken during high-speed testing (at the nurburgring). looks quite nice,
with an rs2-like rear bumper and a mini-rs2 front. 17" wheels, inside wider
wheel arches, with a lower ride height, provide a reasonably aggressive look.
revised spring/dampers and roll bars are also specified.
the article suggests that the awd system will be based on a modified vw synchro
system, but it's clear that they don't really know any details. the suggestion
is also the 1.8t will be used @210hp (as in the tt). the awd system will also
be used on the tt (due in september), so clearly we're talking about an
audi-engineered system for it's tranverse engined cars, rather than a 1-off for
the article says that the s3 promises to be "delta integrale" quick, and the
fastest car in its class.
whenever i start thinking about awd, tranverse turbo engines, and hatchback
size, i can't help but think about group 'a' or world rally cars...
also for those interested in rs2-type modifications, check out:
"www.geocities.com/motorcity/4846/rs2.html" for details of an interestingly
modified rs2 (called the rs2r). k28 turbo, audi gp 'b' intercooler and 380mm
alcon 4-pot brakes. very interesting inlet manifold with the intake at the
front of the engine bay to decrease i/c plumbing by 2.5 *metres* (apparently).
special prize for spotting where the airbox is located!