Subject: Re: 4kq Center Muffler

 "Mark L. Chang" Wrote:

>Got the q up on a lift courtesy my local Marathon gas station/NAPA service

>center to examine which part I needed to stop her from sounding like a

>rattling bucket 'o bolts.

>Anyways, the manager quoted me $350 to install a new center muffler.

>Uh... no.

Bob Davis replied:

Stop.  Don't buy anything just yet. I just ordered and installed a  WHOLE

cat-back system for my 4kq from Blau for $300 a few weeks ago.  Comes with

all hardware and it fits.  Heavy construction, proper Ansa

silencer/resonator (just like OE).

Hung it in a half hour with Paul Royal's assistance (and Tim O'Neils lift

and oxy-acetylene torch).

My stock Leistritz exhaust lasted about 90k miles; replaced with an Ansa which
lasted about 25k miles, replaced with another Leistritz which lasted 70k ++
miles (sold the car).  Identical design Leistritz to Ansa; better welds etc.
on Leistritz; better German steel than Italian steel.  Ansa started to break
up inside prior to rusting out at the weld joints and through the body of the
Leistritz cost about 30% more; check German Parts and Restoration etc.
Other option is a custom bigger system, which several have had completed for
less $ but more effort (and more noise).
HTH< Chris Miller, Windham NH, c1j1miller@aol.com