Exhaust noise

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Steve Currie - d21 wrote:

> When I was racing Peugeot 505s in SCCA, we ran a straight exhaust (no cat).  The
> car was barely louder than stock.  The turbo eats up all of the noise.

Well, I haven't played with a 20V Audi turbo, but on the 10V, the engine
is VERY noisy if it lacks either a cat or a muffler.  I built a 3" turbo
back system for my 5KCSTQ, and without a cat, but with a fairly
restrictive muffler, it was just barely acceptable as a family car.  When
I later replaced the muffler with a free flowing muffler it became
unacceptable for a family car.  Another 5KCSTQ 3" exhaust system I built
had a slightly different muffler design, with no cat, and it surprised me
by being almost quiet enough to pass the wife test.  I built a full 3"
system for another 5KCSTQ though with a 3" highflow cat and a free flow
muffler, and it sounded great while being quiet enough for even my wife.

> >As far as sound and noise go the exhaust is not that much louder than stock.
> >from a quantitative standpoint probably 3 dBs, from a qualitative standpoint
> >not much different from stock. To be honest, I was hoping for a more manly
> >rumble.

The stock 5KCSTQ, and the stock S4 exhausts have alot of muffling in
addition to the cat, so frank's observation doesn't surprise me at all.

Graydon D. Stuckey
No Audis!  :-(
Yet!  :-)