RE: alternator

My alternator failed with exact same symptoms last winter. Loud whining
noise (rpm dependent), warning lamp flashing and headlights dimming at
idle. The local electric shop repaired it cheap. I don't know much (
ok,ok - I know nothing ;-) about alternators, so I won't tell you what
they exactly did, but as far as I remeber they had to rewire it.

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)
88 Renault Medallion wagon (mom's)