"Gross polluter" '91 200Q -- help!

Took my car in today for the biennial smog check (California). Bad news:
the guy says the car's a gross polluter, and won't pass. He didn't run
entire test, because he would have to report it to the DMV if he did. He
suggested I have the car looked at right away .. the HC and CO levels
both extremely high.

Any one had a similar experience?  Car's running like a top, except for
occasional hard starting (10 cranks instead of 3) when cold. No idle
But .. I haven't replaced the O2 sensor in 35,000 miles, and the plugs
probably still original (they looked fine, though).  The car has 73K on

Thanks in advance!

Arun Rao
Pixar Animation Studios
Pt. Richmond, CA 94804